General Electric Government Commercial Counsel in Wilmington, North Carolina
Job Description Summary
Government Commercial Counsel, GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy (GEH), will provide specialized, complex commercial and transactional legal support to GEH and its affiliated global nuclear energy businesses primarily in connection with US government (federal, state and local) business opportunities. Government Commercial Counsel will lead various projects and initiatives with broad scope and high impact to the business.
• Provide cradle-to-grave legal advice and assistance to GEH and affiliated entities on US government (federal, state and local) business opportunities, ranging from procurements (commercial and non-commercial) to financial assistance agreements (grants and cooperative agreements)
• Advise GEH and affiliated entities in connection with development of and compliance with government contract flow-down requirements, including for opportunities where GEH may be serving as the Prime Contractor or Subcontractor, or as the Recipient or Subrecipient
• Actively support both GEH P&Ls (NPP, Fuels & Services) as well as key functional leaders (e.g., Sales, Sourcing, Commercial Operations, Finance and Enterprise Risk) in evaluating and responding to government solicitations and funding opportunity announcements
• Structure, negotiate, and close complex commercial transactions with or for government (including but not limited to technology development, engineering services, digital offerings)
• Structure, negotiate, and close complex business development deals/transactions involving or affecting government business
• Interpret provisions of government contracts, grants and cooperative agreements, and any applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to US Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Parts 12 and 15 (and applicable agency supplements, in particular DEAR and DFAR), TCoPD, Cost Principles and Cost Accounting Standards, and Domestic Product Preferences
• Advise the business on government contract compliance and ethics requirements, including but not limited to SAM registration, other representations and certifications, truthful cost and pricing disclosures, organizational conflicts of interest, and other mandatory disclosures
• Assess and support resolution of commercial disputes and any related legal proceedings, including any proceeding under the False Claims Act or the Procurement Integrity Act
• Advise the business in connection with any suspension or debarment proceeding or any other enforcement action/sanction related to or arising out of a government contract or grant
• Proactively identify, evaluate and address legal, ethics and compliance risks, and work with team leads to develop risk mitigation and/or corrective action plans, as appropriate
• Perform corporate governance functions as may be required in connection with government / public procurement projects and activities
• Support commercial/transactional matters with traditional utility customers, partners and suppliers, as may be needed
• Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school
• Licensed to practice in a US jurisdiction; active State bar membership in good standing
• Minimum of 5 years relevant complex commercial/transactional legal counsel experience specific to doing business with the US government
• Nuclear power industry experience desirable, but not required
• Intellectual Property counsel experience desirable, but not required
• In-house counsel experience with a large energy/industrial business or US government
• Experience interacting with US Government contracting officers, auditors, lawyers, agents, esp. US Department of Energy, Department of Defense, and Nuclear Regulatory Commission
• Experience handling complex public procurements with or involving foreign governments
• Experience with claims before US Court of Federal Claims, US Court of Appeals (Fed. Cir.)
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills; quality written work product a must
• Advanced contract drafting and negotiation skills in the public procurement sector
• Strong analytical ability and sound judgment in delivering legal advice to stakeholders
• Proven ability to provide cost-effective and prompt, high-quality legal services
• Ability to work a clear and measurable set of deliverables, using own initiative
• Demonstrated project management skills; Able to manage multiple priorities
• Willingness and ability to travel to support global businesses, facilities, operations
Eligibility for US DOD and DOE security clearance
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable). This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/en_global/desktop/assets/images/poster_screen_reader_optimized_w_supplement.pdf) . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes