General Electric Lead Engineer - Electrical Engineering in Stafford, United Kingdom
Role Summary:This role is designed to interpret the customer’s technical enquiry and to design the most cost effective overall solution for an HVDC installation utilizing the PES power electronics solutions, aiming to minimising the total cost, and to specify the main (high-value) items of bought-out equipment. The successful candidate will be involved in the development and industrialisation of solutions tools and processes.
Essential Responsibilities:• Insulation Coordination Studies: Determination (by simulation) of temporary and transient overvoltage stresses on equipment and surge arrester energy ratings.
• Network studies: Confirmation of the correct interaction between the equipment, its control system and the rest of the network.
• Reliability and Availability Studies: Creation of overall reliability and availability models for projects and reporting to the client.
• Losses: Calculation of overall project losses and reporting to the client.
• Provide guidance and coordinate the engineering tasks to meet the project/tender requirement.
• Technical responsibility in areas of expertise
• Development and Industrialisation: Develop and industrialise solutions tools and processes associated with the engineering activities identified above.
• Be actively involved in new developments in HVDC technologies, implementing control and protection solutions and creating / delivering new analysis techniques and system study tools in order to provide optimized system study solutions.
• Process Improvement: Review and record design processes and develop new or improved processes.
• Enforce engineering discipline and set processes across all work tasks and adherence to company policies, quality procedures and work instructions (e.g. through trainings, technical reviews).
• Represent the business in external events by publishing technical papers
• Apply yourself towards improving your technical knowledge base and keep abreast of relevant methodologies and technological advancement within the Company.
• Support and mentor other engineers to increase the team’s technical knowledge and competence
• Values: Comply with the GE Values Charter
• Report or resolve any non-conformances in a timely manner.
• Identify and evaluate EHS risks in the team area and implement practical measures.
• Set the example by demonstrating the proper acts and actively observe work conditions and behaviours, giving constructive feedback and celebrating EHS effective prevention.
• Actively participate in defining corrective actions when work is unsafe or when an uncontrolled risk is observed.
• Routinely observe routines and behaviours of others and provide immediate feedback regarding unsafe behaviour and celebrates achievements or safe behaviours.
• Actively and routinely promote the identification of hazards and near misses to their team/s.
Educated with an Engineering degree (or equivalent) including power systems and power electronics subjects (minimum 2:1) with proven professional experience and technical expertise in the field of power system engineering and preferably in HVDC System Design.
Detailed knowledge of Main Circuit design
Power Quality Issues
Knowledge of system tools like PSCAD, PSS/E, DigSilent, RTDS and MATLAB etc.
Insulation co-ordination and main equipment characteristics for HVDC
An expertise of the use of computer mathematical and simulation tools as applied to the design of the aforementioned activities
A general understanding of the characteristics of HVDC Valves and their control systems.
Equipment Specification: Creation of project-specific, high economic value, equipment specifications for equipment such as power transformers, instrument transformers, reactors, capacitors, surge arresters etc.
Filter Design: Design of AC, DC, high Frequency harmonic filters and screening. Calculations of filter performance and rating. Creation of project-specific equipment specifications for filter reactors/capacitors/resistors.
Desired Characteristics:Able to work to deadlines with high quality, sense of urgency and delivery
• Good technical communication skills
• Self-motivating, proactive and results driven approach
• Strong problem-solving and root cause identification skills
• Precise documentation
• Ability to be a team player and to work independently
• "Professional" approach to engineering delivery
Competitive salary applies
Opening date 29/05/2020 - Closing date 26/06/2020
For further information about this role, and to apply, please visit www.ge.com/careers quoting 3470720
About Us:GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.comAdditional Locations:United Kingdom;Stafford;