General Electric Power & Systems Modelling Engineering in Rugby, United Kingdom
Role Summary:As a member of a multi-disciplined team, deliver full (MW-scale) power systems analysis and/or detail analysis in a specific domain using simulation software for systems incorporating, (but not limited to) power generation, protection, power conversion, energy storage, control and automation to ensure the design meets customer, budget, schedule, contract, and regulatory requirements.
Essential Responsibilities:• Support lead engineers in monitoring and delivering project work packages and deliverables.
• Produce designs, specifications and documentation for systems and supporting equipment, including generators, switchboards, transformers, converters, motors, energy storage, cabling etc.
• Undertake modelling, analysis and simulation of power electronic converter and machine drive systems & equipment, using standard industrial design tools such as: Matlab, Simulink, eTAP, PLECS, PSpice, Mathcad, CFD, etc.
• Ensure drive and project system designs comply with the relevant health & safety and applicable International standards and class society rules.
• Review technical drawings, documents and electrical schematics for technical compliance and functionality.
• Support the lead engineers in resolving technical aspects and issues in support of current projects, equipment under test, or in-service platforms.
• Undertake and provide support to technical design studies, short circuit calculations, load flow, protection co-ordination, harmonics, system operation, transient analysis, common mode / EMC and quality of power supply studies.
• Provide technical assistance to tendering, test and commissioning teams.
• Support attainment of on-time delivery, cost and quality targets.
• Support verification, validation, lab testing of low voltage & medium voltage drive systems.
• Liaise with platform engineering, technology and value engineering, and supply chain as appropriate in order to support the project and the business.
• Liaise with other GE businesses, sub-contractors and suppliers as appropriate in order to support the project and the business.
• Provide technical advice and assistance to the overall project teams as appropriate, including support of technical meetings, factory acceptance testing, commissioning and service.
• Improve the efficiency of the engineering process, through development and use of standard engineering solutions for projects.
• Comply with all company and customer health and safety regulations.
Qualifications/Requirements:• Minimum of a Degree or equivalent in electrical engineering or higher, Masters or PhD in relevant field.
• Chartered Engineer (or working to) and equivalent proven record of continuous professional development.
• Extant Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS), or the ability to obtain BPSS is required for this role.
• Experience in power system engineering in one or more fields, from power engineering HV / LV or electrical drive systems applications.
• Experience of electrical system integration working on multi-discipline projects
• Design experience in power electronics, systems and projects or similar field.
• Track record of successful project execution.
• Skilled user of power electronics design tools (Mathcad, MATLAB, Simulink, eTAP, PLECS etc).
• Willing to travel within UK and overseas for short term working.
• Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
• Good communication, report writing and organizational skills.
• Operate with professionalism and integrity.
Desired Characteristics:• Electrical engineering & modelling in Marine /Offshore Oil & Gas / Naval / Defence industry.
• Experience in engineering, modelling, design, application, testing or commissioning environment, with experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Electrical power generation and distribution systems
• LV / HV switchgear and transformer specification and application
• LV and MV synchronous generators and their associated control systems (AVRs, speed governors etc.)
• Induction and synchronous motors and their control systems
• Variable speed drive control systems and associated automation
• Power system control and protection
• LV and MV variable speed drives and motors
• Battery and/or Ultra-Capacitor based energy storage systems
• Application experience for drives, including marine (Naval or Offshore), metal industries and mining applications.
• Marine electrical power and propulsion systems.
• Experience of performing power system studies such as:
• LV & MV Protection & Co-ordination
• Voltage drop / dip calculations
• Load flow and fault studies
• Transient system and scenario analysis
• Harmonic (VTHD) calculations
• MV & LV power system cabling (cable selection, rating etc.)
• Quality of Power Supply / EMC
• On site commissioning experience of large projects.
• Clean driving licence.
• The ability to obtain the higher levels of UK Security Clearance, including “SC Clearance” and “UK Eyes Only Clearance”, are desirable for this role.
About Us:GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewable and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency.
GE Power Conversion is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities.
We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles; and we are open to discuss flexible ways of working that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.
To learn more, please visit: www.gepowerconversion.comAdditional Locations:United Kingdom;Rugby;