General Electric Wind Senior Controls Engineer - SPB3 - Renewables in Queretaro, Mexico
Job Description Summary
The Megawatt Constrained Segment Controls & Operability team is seeking a Wind Control Systems & Operability Engineer with demonstrated wind turbine expertise. The Wind Control Systems & Operability Engineer is an integral part of the wind product and design process. This is a product-development focused engineering role where the scope includes design, implementation, and optimization of the turbine operational strategies that meet product needs.
Roles and Responsibilities
As the Wind Control Systems & Operability Engineer, you will:
● Optimize and tune turbine operation to increase turbine performance, lower mechanical loading of
the turbine, and at the same time allow the turbine to run with high availability
● Assume ownership of turbine operation for a model through the entire new product introduction
(NPI) cycle from conceptual design in simulation to prototype operations and field issue resolution
● Investigate and analyze complex controls issues occurring in the fleet of installed turbines and develop corrective actions
● Cooperate with the Loads and Validation teams to analyze the impact of the controls strategy on the mechanical loads of the turbine in simulation and through the evaluation of measurement data
● Effectively communicate and provide recommendations through the analysis, preparation and presentation of technical data to internal and external GE customers using reports, records, and letters
● Coach and mentor others in the analysis, design, test and/or integration related to assigned components, assemblies or process systems that meet business standards, practices, and procedures, and meet the product/program requirements.
● Work within the guidelines of applicable GE Policies and Procedures, Engineering Standards, Design Customer Operating Procedures, Specifications, Government and Commercial Standards, and special security requirements.
● Provide technical leadership to other personnel and assigned teams; mentor others in the organization.
● Assure that proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks is consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
● Monitor and communicate project status, business issues, and significant developments.
● Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
● Lead the solution of complex technical problems
● Utilize Six Sigma tolls to improve current business products and processes. Document successful Six Sigma projects via Green Belt reports and/or presentations.
● Lead multiple projects, monitoring progress and quality and ensuring schedule requirements are met.
● Check own and other people’s work
● Recognized technical expert in relevant engineering domain
● Lead the implementation of innovative analysis, designs, development concepts, processes, and system solutions.
● Define technical schedule cost and/or program requirements.
● Conduct assessments and develop action plans to anticipate and respond to problems
● Effectively communicate and provide recommendations to internal and external GE customers through the analysis, preparation, and presentation of technical data.
● Provide the engineering technical support to cross functional teams to improve or resolve design, performance, manufacturing, supplier, or field issues. ● Interface with external organizations and supporting functions, and direct/coordinate the efforts of project team members in order to accomplish overall goals.
● Responsible for team’s technical proficiency and growth
● Participate with a manager(s) in developing, communicating, executing, and tracking program plans and goals.
● Manage complex issues within functional area(s) of expertise.
● Be a recognized leader in defending state of the art in own technical specialty in order to anticipate, develop and apply technology.
● Integrate and develop processes that meet business needs across the organization
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Science from an accredited college or university
Minimum of 6 years of wind turbine engineering work or research experience
Ability and willingness to travel 10% for field troubleshooting & validation
Solid contribution in a similar role or previous position
Effective written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish
English skills: Must be able to maintain a normal day-to-day fluid conversation in English on any topic with few mistakes (mistakes that do not affect clear understanding). Must have fluency, rhythm, and sufficient self-confidence in the language to be able to handle meetings and conversations. For more information, consult the HR English Evaluations document located in Support Central.
Presentation Skills: Ability to communicate with Senior Leadership and external customers.
Demonstrated ability in managing projects across functions
Capable of coaching others to accomplish assignments
Demonstrated ability in establishing common goals and objectives
Demonstrated ability in influencing and shaping team's long-term vision and strategy
Sole responsibility across GE of cross functional projects or modules
Be recognized as an expert
- ● Proficiency in MATLAB / Simulink or similar program● Strong oral and written communication skills● Problem analysis and resolution skills● Experience with wind turbine control systems strongly preferred but not mandatory Proficiency in at least one aero-elastic wind turbine simulation tool such as Bladed, Fast, or Flex● Experience with the wind turbine mechanical loads certification process according to IEC 61400-1● Advanced degree with a focus on controls, wind energy, or system dynamics● Good understanding of classical (transfer functions, frequency domain design, etc) and basic knowledge in modern (state-space, optimal control, etc) control theory● Experience with real-time control systems such as the MarkVIe● Knowledge of at least one programming language such as C or Delphi● Ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and external customers
Relocation Assistance Provided: No