General Electric Control Systems Engineer in Minato, Japan
We are the doers. The leaders. The makers. The change-bringers. We are all different, uniting to solve the world’s toughest challenges. Our teams are hungry to make history, acting with integrity to relentlessly improve people’s lives. With every weld, every sale, and every code we write we keep the world in motion. It’s time to stop dreaming about the future; let’s build it together.
The Control Systems Engineer supports the design and implementation of HVDC Control Systems by analyzing customer requirements, assessing the necessary deviation from standard solutions, modelling the proposed HVDC control system, providing requirements for the hardware and software teams to implement and validating the resulting system through DPS and protection coordination studies.
Essential Responsibilities :
The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated and dynamic team of engineers working on the development of control system for VSC HVDC links. This role will be located in Japan and will act as an interface to the customer, suppliers and consortium partners.
Drive the Ukujima converter controller engineering by interfacing with the customer, suppliers and consortium partners regarding:
Understand control system requirements for the software architecture, development and verification teams to work from those system requirements
Manage technical queries from clients in relation with HQ software teams in Europe
Plan and Participate in FST and FAT programs on project platforms with customer
Knowledge in MATLAB, PSSE/PSCAD and PSSE/RSCAD Power system network conversion, modelling & various simulation tools
Knowledge in Control and protection parameters tuning to meet grid stability criteria.
Knowledge in Protection coordination design and validation
Knowledge in Control, protection and sequencing strategy specifications
• Play a key role in customer relationship in Japan, and interface with HQ software teams in Europe.
• Understand the key milestones in a project plan, their financial impact and ensuring the technical risks are understood and mitigated in accordance with the plan
• Support a standard product methodology mindset, seek opportunities to re-use solutions, improve quality and reliability whilst reducing the delivery timeline and associated costs
【Due to current Covid-19 situation, we cannot support VISA and relocation for the candidates who are out of Japan】
• Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects or proven equivalent knowledge and experience in HVDC business
• Strong sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
• Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements, lead technical discussions with customers and develop client relationships
• Understanding of Systems Engineering principles and requirements management
• Understanding of functional characteristics of power systems and interactions between AC and HVDC systems
• Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
• Must be flexible with working hours and willing to travel in order to support projects globally
• Fluency in written and spoken Japanese and English.
Desired Characteristics :
• Knowledge of applicable electrical standards such as IEC 61850, IEC 62351, IEC 12207, IEEE 15288, IEC 25010, IEC 27032, NERC/CIP
• Studies in Electrical engineering
• Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice
• Knowledge of Japanese grid code
Additional Eligibility Qualifications :
Relocation Assistance Provided: No