General Electric Staff Software Engineer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Join a dynamic team that’s developing the next generation of mobile patient monitors & cloud-based network solutions. GE Healthcare is looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer to lead a scrum team which delivers the foundational platform for a new product development team, including the Operating System, platform security, platform serviceability, & application environment. Additionally, you will drive execution acting as both the product owner (PO) & scrum-master (SM) for the team.
In this role, you will:
• Develop a re-usable platform that delivers the complete software stack from the Linux OS to the Docker application and orchestration environment, including both security and serviceability features
• Collaborate with system engineers, architects and principal engineers to implement solutions that are aligned with and extend our portfolio of platform services and solutions
• Apply principles of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and methodologies like Agile, CI, software and product security, application scaling, documentation practices, refactoring and testing techniques
• Write code that complies with company and regulatory standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
• Create standardized APIs and infrastructure to help facilitate the successful adoption of the platform
• Learn and help others adopt new technologies
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in Software Development /or/ a Master’s degree with 5 years of experience in Software Development
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States full-time without sponsorship at time of hire
• Must be willing to work in our Milwaukee, WI facility full-time.
• Must submit application for employment through gecareers.com (or COS if internal).
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including for example, verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background.
• Masters Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• 8+ years of experience in Software Development
• Expertise in Linux system development, system performance management, system health monitoring, and platform development for a microservices architecture
• Expertise in perl, python, and/or bash development.
• Expertise in hardening Linux-based deployments for security.
• Knowledge of the TCP/UDP IP network stack, including network troubleshooting
• Knowledge of Design for Serviceability
• Knowledge of Docker and Ansible
• Knowledge of SE Linux
• Strong unit testing and debugging skills
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
• Have a solid understanding of the underlying infrastructure needed to run a large distributed mission-critical application.
• Has the ability to break down problems and estimate time for development tasks
• Has the ability to make basic technology choices for specific tasks
• Experience working with global teams
• Prior experience as product owner or scrum-master; certification of these Agile roles is a plus
• Has the ability to take ownership of tasks and deliver without supervision while using discretion to seek help when necessary
• Voices opinions and presents clear rationale. Uses data or factual evidence to influence decisions
• Recognizes collaborative behavior and participates in collaborative activities
• Learns organization vision and decision-making framework. Able to understand how team and personal goals/objectives contribute to the organization vision
• Demonstrates the ability to help team members
• Seeks to understand problems thoroughly before implementing solutions. Asks questions to clarify requirements when ambiguities are present
• Proven ability to solve challenging problems and deliver timely and high-quality design solutions when presented with conflicting requirements, business demands, and technical risks
• Identifies opportunities for innovation and offers new ideas. Takes the initiative to experiment with new software frameworks
• Adapts to new environments and changing requirements. Pivots quickly as needed. When coached, responds to need and seeks info from other sources
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; Wisconsin; Milwaukee
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.