General Electric Lead Engineer - Drives Software Engineering in Leicester, United Kingdom
Job Description Summary
• Provide technical leadership on the Marine Power test facility and associated projects Drive Systems reporting to the Engineering Manager - in support of the UK Systems & Naval Business
• Ensure that all technical requirements of the Drive systems across the test facility projects are met both in the underwater and surface ship test facility.
• Identify and propose improvements in processes, tools and system solutions, rolling out improvements when agreed with leadership team. Coordinate upgrade paths for MPTF drive systems to ensure that MPTF are able to provide state of the art hardware and software platforms for testing. This will involve consistent collaboration with the Rugby based C&A and Power Electronics teams to understand ongoing and future developments.
• Provide technical expertise in support of business development & technical solutions, support test and analysis for MPTF and wider Naval projects.
• Organise and maintain the drives software and hardware for all MPTF drives.
This will include: -
a) Software configuration management
b) Hardware configuration management and drawings
• Coordinate with the various naval and industrial project teams to ensure that the MPTF test facilities are efficiently prepared to offer appropriate validation of project drive systems, hardware and software.
Roles and Responsibilities
Will work with the existing program Engineering Manager to take on day to day Lead Drive systems design and test activities for the delivery of the associated projects and Systems.
Provide expertise in drive software control, including drive software commissioning, debugging, modification, control tuning and functionality verification.
Responsible for Drive system design and test related engineering activities during the Project phases. Including Drive system design & modelling, auxiliary systems, test specifications, results analysis and reporting.
Provide support for the integration of DAS / automation control and supervision with the drive controls.
Establish and maintain engineering quality control system for the Drive System aspects.
Establish and manage contract design documentation in accordance to company standards. Produce design documentation and test reports as necessary.
Liaise with other GE businesses, functions, sub-contractors and suppliers as appropriate in order to support the project and the business.
Working with other engineering disciplines to optimise system design.
Provide technical advice and assistance to the overall project team including commissioning / service/
customers and third party OEM commissioning teams.
Improve the efficiency of the engineering process, through development and use of standard engineering solutions for projects.
Comply with all company and customer health and safety regulations.
Support other projects and the facility for tasks as required.
Supervision and guidance of junior engineers and technicians.
Degree or equivalent in electrical/electronic engineering or related subject.
Chartered Engineer or equivalent, proven record of continuous professional development.
Existing or the ability to obtain the higher levels of UK Security Clearance, including “SC Clearance” and “UK Eyes Only Clearance”, are required for this role.
Experience in systems application engineering in one or more fields, from power engineering, electrical drive systems and automation.
Experience of system integration working on multi-discipline projects.
Experience of Software coding, debugging and verification.
Experience of Hardware test and validation.
10 years in an electrical engineering design environment.
Experience in a technical leadership role.
Electrical engineering in Marine or Defence industry.
P80i drive coding.
Vector control of electrical machines.
Marine Propulsion Systems.
LV and MV variable speed drives, power electronics and motors.
Experience of DC power Systems.
Experience in integrated control schemes with PLCs, HMI and Drives.
On site commissioning of drives.
Note: To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years’ experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No