General Electric Sr. Software Engineer in Hyderabad, India
Job Description Summary
Responsible for advanced Power Systems Application software development and successful delivery of assigned functions to meet corporate project/product commitments. The responsibilities include: working with Electric Utilities or ISOs (Independent System Operators) and Transmission and Distribution System Operators on functional software specifications, designing, coding, testing, integration, application tuning and delivery.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
Act as a Senior member in Software Center of Excellence, representing the face of high-quality design and development practices. Implement new functionalities in power system application software which includes EMS (Energy Management System), DTS (Dispatcher Training Simulator) or DMS (Distribution Management Systems) and Modeling for EMS/DTS/Oil and Gas and Distribution.
Provide maintenance of power systems application functionality; including code fixes, creating tools for model conversion, documentation, and user interfaces.
Collaborate with system/project engineers, frontend developers and Energy Management System (EMS) and Distribution Management System (DMS) application developers to implement solutions that are aligned with product direction.
Consults with other technical leads to ensure that project-related system design guidelines are being followed. Responsible for writing EMS and/or DMS Functional Software Designs.
Provides input to technical lead on schedules and cost estimates.
Interfaces with customers on general and specific issues within area of functional expertise.
Provides marketing support for proposals and demonstrations to potential customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Masters in Power Systems or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) plus at least six (6) years development or project delivery experience in related field
Desired CharacteristicsTechnical Expertise:
Work experience in the power systems area.
Excellent programming skills in C++, Java or other related language, as required. Knowledge on Perl, PowerShell and SQL (MSSQL and/or T-SQL) scripting languages. Good understanding of database operation.
Excellent knowledge of assigned technical area and a strong understanding of the EMS and DMS software.
Delivered power systems and/or energy management system applications with focus on Distribution Network Applications like Power flow, Fault Location, Isolation and Service Restoration, Load and Volt Var Management and Distribution Operator training Simulator.
Experience with electric utility industry practices
Strong knowledge of customer perspective and needs.
Proven software design skills at the application and technical area level.
Ability to see integration issues and to preclude schedule impacts.
Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to write professional and technical reports and procedures. Ability to make formal and informal presentation to technical and non-technical staff and customers.
• Ability to takes ownership of small and medium sized tasks and deliver while mentoring and helping team members
• Ensures understanding of issues and presents clear rationale. Able to speak to mutual needs and win-win solutions. Uses two-way communication to influence outcomes and ongoing results
• Identifies misalignments with goals, objectives, and work direction against the organizational strategy. Makes suggestions to course correct
• Continuously measures deliverables of self and team against scheduled commitments. Effectively balances different, competing objectives
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Effective team building and problem solving abilities
• Persists to completion, especially in the face of overwhelming odds and setbacks. Pushes self for results; pushes others for results through team spirit
This Job Description is intended to provide a high level guide to the role. However, it is not intended to amend or otherwise restrict/expand the duties required from each individual employee as set out in their respective employment contract and/or as otherwise agreed between an employee and their manager.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes