General Electric Senior Manager – Grid Software Engineering in Hyderabad, India
Job Description Summary
You will be part of the core team at GE Digital Grid Software Business that is using software to enable future of energy that is decarbonized by designing, building, delivering, and maintaining software applications & services for next generation Grid Software that orchestrates 40% of the world’s power today. As Senior Manager, you will be responsible for leading teams to design, build, deliver and maintain software applications and services. You will work with global set of leaders to provide input to strategy, plan work, drive delivery of high quality software using agile development practices. You will be responsible for hiring, onboarding, building and engaging high performing software development teams.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
Manage a team responsible for UX, front end and backend development using the latest technologies and methodologies adopted from industry wide practices.
Assist in developing standards consistent with compliance requirements
Troubleshoot and remedy availability/performance issues
You will hire, onboard, build and engage the Grid Engineering team.
You will contribute to delivery of next generation grid software that enables energy transition by integrating renewables and distributed energy resources to the main power grid.
Contribute to development of strategy for organization including resource development, innovation and execution strategy and help execute the strategy.
Actively present leadership updates to GE executive sponsors and customers.
Quickly learn, internalize, and develop a strong understanding of key priorities and the customers
Align with stakeholders to ensure that data and process changes required in systems are implemented in accordance with project objectives and timelines
Provide day to day work direction for team members engaged in projects and delivery using agile processes
Facilitate and coach software engineering teams on requirements estimate and work sizing.
Drive a continuous learning culture to help guide continuous improvements.
Provide leadership on Lean/Agile principles and development practices.
Actively pursue new methods and practices to increase productivity and drive agile development practices in team
Utilize project management tools to track progress and recognize key risk areas for specific implementations
Assist in the resolution of conflicting priorities through the proactive communication of requirements, time lines and stakeholders.
Operate as a engaged leader who serves as a subject matter and technical expert for assigned programs and development initiatives
Work with system leaders and functional teams to ensure products and services adhere to compliance and controllership standards
• Minimum of 4 years’ direct experience working with cloud production environments
• Experience building systems based on cloud technology in AWS, GCE, MS or Azure
• Experience building scalable Web applications
• Experience working with Big Data Analytics applications
• Configuration management experience with one or more configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, and/or Ansible
• Experience with container technologies
• Demonstrated coding skills, preferably in Python, Ruby, and/or Java
• Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP and HTTP protocols
• Experience working with High Availability and Fault Tolerant architectures
• Familiarity Relational and NoSQL databases
• Experience working with Monitoring tools like Nagios, Graphite
• Experience working in Unix/Linux operating systems and shell scripting
• Well-developed analytical skills
• A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Familiar with Agile methodologies
• Familiarity with Salesforce Cloud offerings
• Experience working with AWS DevOps Automation and Programming Tools
• Experience implementing Cloud-bases Access Management Services
• Experience working in a PAAS environment
• Evaluates technology to drive features and roadmaps. Maps technology trends to internal vision
• Differentiates buzzwords from value proposition. Embraces technology trends that drive excellence beyond traditional practices (e.g., Test automation in lieu of traditional QA practices)
• Balances value propositions for competing stakeholders. Recommends a well-researched recommendation of buy vs. build solution.
• Conveys the value proposition for the company by assessing financial risks and gains of decisions and return on investment (ROI).
• Manages the process of building and maintaining a successful alliance.
• Understands and successfully applies common analytical techniques, including ROI, SWOT, and Gap analyses. Able to clearly articulate the business drivers relevant to a given initiative
• Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas.
• Pre-emptively sees downstream consequences and effectively tailors influencing strategy to support a positive outcome. Uses experts or other third parties to influence
• Able to verbalize what is behind decisions and downstream implications.
• Continuously reflecting on success and failures to improve performance and decision-making. Understands when change is needed. Participates in technical strategy planning
• Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team. Able to navigate accountability in a matrixed organization
• Communicates and demonstrates a shared sense of purpose. Learns from failure
• Able to effectively direct and mentor others in critical thinking skills.
• Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions using critical thinking and analysis skills and best practices. Finds important patterns in seemingly unrelated information
• Influences and energizes other toward the common vision and goal. Maintains excitement for a process and drives to new directions of meeting the goal even when odds and setbacks render one path impassable
• Innovates and integrates new processes and/or technology to significantly add value to GE.
• Identifies how the cost of change weighs against the benefits and advises accordingly. Proactively learns new solutions and processes to address seemingly unanswerable problems
Bachelor's Degree Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) + with minimum 12 years of experience.
5 years’ experience as people leader
Experience in driving agile development practices of large teams.
Must be willing to travel to key sites (post COVID restrictions changes)
Experience in working in industrial environments and power grid is a strong plus
Working on data system across multiple operating systems/cloud environments is considered strong plus
Advanced degrees such as MS specially in distributed computing or data systems is strong plus
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes