General Electric Lead Wind Control Systems & Operability Engineer (m/f/d) in Home/Remote/Alternate, Germany
Job Description Summary
At GE Renewable Energy, we harness the earth’s most abundant resources –the strength of the wind, the heat of the sun and the force of water –to power the world’s biggest economies and the most remote communities. With an innovative spirit and an entrepreneurial mindset, we engineer energy products and digital services that create industry-leading value for our customers around the world.
The Operability team in Controls & Operability COE organization has the courage, scale, passion, diversity and currently is seeking an exceptional controls engineer with demonstrated control systems design and system evaluation expertise. The Lead Wind Control Systems & Operability Engineer will be an integral part of the wind turbine design process.
This is a global engineering role where the scope includes design, implementation, and validation of dynamic and operational control systems that meet product needs. The broad scope of responsibility provides an opportunity to optimize turbine performance, operability & availability.
In this role you will :
· Be responsible for development and enhancement of control algorithms that increase turbine performance, lower mechanical loading of the turbine, and at the same time allow the turbine to run with high availability.
· Work with cross segments and services team to investigate and analyze complex controls issues occurring in the fleet of installed turbines and develop corrective actions.
· Implement and validate control algorithms in both the loads simulation environment as well as on the GE MarkVIe PLC according to the product requirements flow-down.
· Provide key wind turbine controls expertise through all phases of product development from requirements definition through design and development, validation and product life-cycle support
· Effectively communicate and provide recommendations through analysis, preparation and presentation of the technical data to internal and external GE customers using reports, records, and letters.
· Contribute to the continuous improvement of the controller development and loads simulation infrastructure.
Qualification/ Requirements :
· Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Science from an accredited University with a focus on controls and/or wind energy
· Proven experience as controls engineer ( from conceptual design all the way through to validation ) incl. developing advanced control algorithms.
· Experience in the wind industry would be beneficial.
· Knowledge and programming experience in e.g. Matlab, C, C++, Python
· Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex/technical information orally and in writing
· Fluency in English
· Advanced degree (MSc, PhD) with a focus on controls, wind energy, or system dynamics
· Good understanding of classical (transfer functions, frequency domain design, etc) and modern (state-space, optimal control, etc) control theory
· Experience with Model-Based design of control systems
Relocation Assistance Provided: No