General Electric Lead Engineer - Battery Electric Vehicle Traction & Auxiliary Controls in Erie, Pennsylvania
Develop controls for the New Product Introduction of a Battery Electric Locomotive. This all-electric battery locomotive is an innovative industry first for freight railroad applications and continues our journey as a global leader on locomotive emissions reduction and optimized efficiency. The Traction and Auxiliary control design team will lead the integration of the battery, inverter, motor and charging system hardware and will design the embedded control to maximize performance.
The Lead Engineer- Battery Electric Vehicle Traction & Auxiliary Controls will focus on the strategic development of the control system for an all-electric battery locomotive and drive new control function development, validation and New Product Introduction launch. The Lead Engineer will demonstrate leadership in communicating business goals, programs, and processes for an area or business segment. In this role you will utilize your experience and expertise to solve problems, develop and execute objectives for self and guide others, and effect short-term and some long-term business goals.
The Traction control system manages the power flow from the primary source (propulsion batteries, diesel engine, 3rd rail/catenary) through the electrical system (filters, alternator, rectifier, inverters) and regulates the torque production from the motors to propel the locomotive and provide electric braking/battery charging. The Auxiliary control system manages the power flow from the primary source to drive cooling fans, air compressor and control system battery charger. The Auxiliary control system also controls off-board wayside charging of the propulsion batteries. In this role, you will:
• Own control system design and development for locomotive Traction & Auxiliary features including new control function definition, requirements derivation, dynamic analysis, failure modes analysis, design trade-offs, implementation, and validation
• Lead the integration of control system with component hardware (propulsion batteries, DC/AC inverters, AC/AC convertors, motors, alternators, rectifiers) and other sub-systems (propulsion battery, diesel engine, engine cooling, engine control, compressed air, ventilation) to meet performance, application and platform functional requirements
• Lead controls validation utilizing desktop simulation/modelling test tools, integrated model/software testing using virtual simulators, integrated model/software/electronics hardware testing using full operability HITL(hardware in the loop) simulators, locomotive validation testing, customer acceptance testing, and field in-service testing
• Lead the investigation, root-cause identification, and resolution of control system reliability issues
• Collaborate with systems engineering, program management, commercial teams, simulation, software and hardware teams in the application of advanced controls techniques/methods/tools to meet emerging requirements
• Lead the evaluation and conceptualization of new control technology, applications, and platforms as part of New Product Introductions
• Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
• Provide technical leadership to personnel supporting the assigned project
• Document technical data generated by the assigned project consistent with engineering policies and procedures
• Provide timely communications on technical and program risk to the respective stakeholders and leadership
• Participate on teams assigned to address organizational initiatives and generic issues
• Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
• At least 3 years of experience in an engineering control design position with hands-on design, development and implementation of closed loop controls and/or diagnostics
• Working knowledge Matlab/Simulink Willing/able to support hands-on execution of simulation and on-locomotive testing & validation
• Ability and willingness to travel as required
• Experience with DOORS or similar requirements definition methods/tools and control model auto-coding for high speed, closed-loop real-time control
• Experience with system level validation testing
• Experience with transportation/locomotive auxiliary or traction equipment, systems, control, diagnostics from application, design and/or test
• Experience with electric vehicle/hybrid power, on-board or off-board charging through application, design and/or test
• Hands-on/Working knowledge of rotating electric machines (alternators, motors), rectifiers/inverters/convertors, power electronics, electric vehicle/hybrid propulsion battery technology
• Strong technical aptitude, including applicable engineering tools and systems
• Solid oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and leadership skills
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Transportation at http://www.getransportation.com/ , we are in the business of
realizing potential. We are a global technology leader and supplier of equipment, services and solutions to the rail,
mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our innovations help customers deliver goods and services
with greater speed and savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques and connected machines. Our digital
solutions , which provide data-driven insights to improve efficiency, utilize Predix – GE’s cloud-based operating
system for the Industrial Internet. Established more than a century ago, GE Transportation is a division of the General
Electric Company that began as a pioneer in passenger and freight locomotives. That innovative spirit still drives GE
Transportation today and is strengthened by our ability to serve customers more holistically through the GE Store – a
global exchange of knowledge, technology and tools across all GE businesses that ultimately provides better
outcomes for customers. GE Transportation is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and employs approximately 10,000
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; Pennsylvania; Erie PA, Fort Worth TX
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.