General Electric Electrical System Design Engineer in Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Job Description Summary
At the Power Distribution and Controls Centre of Excellence based in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, we design & develop systems for aircraft power distribution and controls. Our engineers are working on: researching cutting edge technologies for tomorrows products, looking for ways to adapt existing technologies to solve today’s complex technical problems and developing systems to deliver cost effective quality solutions to solve Aviation’s toughest challenges. These systems contain a wide mixture of electro mechanical switches, digital and analogue circuits ranging from embedded processor systems, high accuracy measurement systems to high power solid state switching products.
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here, you’ll work collaboratively and across functions with the highest caliber talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. Whether it’s the next generation of ecomagination products or the cockpit of tomorrow, we’ve got the state-of-the-art resources to make those innovations a reality. If you’re passionate about aviation and looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE in reengineering the sky through aviation systems that will impact the globe for generations to come.
You will perform a key role within a dynamic team designing and developing power distribution systems for our Electrical Power Distribution Business within GE Aviation.
As an Engineer in GE you will be encouraged and supported to continue developing both your technical and leadership skills
• Demonstrate your electrical knowledge managing requirements, designing, verifying and testing electrical systems.
• Use your knowledge of the product development lifecycle to provide technical support to the team and the wider business.
• Asses and solve technical problems.
• Work in a team environment delivering products to cost and schedule.
• Grow technical expertise in one or more product / technology areas, maintaining an awareness of industry trends.
• Have the ability to interface directly with customers as presenter or reviewer of technical information.
• Be willing to occasionally travel internationally to support customer / supplier meetings.
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical/electronic engineering from an accredited university/college, equivalent qualification or equivalent level of knowledge and experience.
• Knowledge of electrical product design and development activities including exposure to design for manufacture & test-methodologies.
• Exposure to performing root cause analysis of hardware issues.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Be familiar with technologies in Power switching and control circuitry.
• Exposure to the mechanical design of electrical packaging.
• Knowledge of Electrical Wiring Installation System (EWIS) regulatory.
• Experience of using: Mentor Capital or equivalent schematic electrical design toolset.
• A working knowledge of software and systems design.
• An understanding of regulatory and safety requirements for safety critical products (ideally gained in an avionics or similar environment).
• Ability to understand and be involved in all phases of the product development life cycle. You will be expected to play an active part in the design and development of new products from concept through to manufacture and beyond.
• Willing to participate in military product design
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognizes the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs:
Group income protection
Private medical cover
Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS (http://https/www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-baseline-personnel-security-standard)
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (http://https/www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration)
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes