General Electric Staff Software Architect in Bristol, United Kingdom
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
As a Staff Software Architect of a software engineering group, you will apply your knowledge of architecture, software development methodologies, best practices and proven processes to deliver a quality software product on budget, within planned schedule with superb quality.
In this role, you will:
• Demonstrate very strong technical leadership of a scrum team including solid communication and analytical skills with thorough understanding of product development and leading a team in successful problem definition, decomposition, estimation and resolution.
• Work closely with Chief Architect within the Wall of Analytics program to implement the HIS integration and analytics development as per architectural guidelines established.
• Work closely with the scrum team to implement design tenets and translate functional and non- functional requirements into deliverable artifacts.
• Work with product owners across the business to understand market needs & vision; quickly translate that vision into demonstrable software
• Quickly define and deliver working software prototypes
• Drive increased efficiency within the scrum team, ensure adherence to agile methods and the architectural blueprint established for the solution.
• Support the engineering leadership in terms of scrum team operations (estimation, sprints, backlog creation, Release Planning and cadence for delivery)
• Significant hands on experience designing and developing using the whole technology stack prescribed for the Wall of Analytics in a continuous integration environment.
• Proficient in Java, Hibernate/JPA, Spring
• Proficient in DB/SQL. Understands DB concerns when designing solutions. Knowledge of JS, angular
• Experience in design of REST services, JSON constructs, etc. required.
• Experience in Hospital Information Systems integration, deep knowledge of HL7 standards for interoperability desired
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) or equivalent
• Extensive professional experience or strong experience with Master’s degree in computer science.
• Strong software development experience in a customer facing and continuous integration environment whilst acting in an architect role.
• Legal authorization to work in the U.K. is required. Employment visas will not be sponsored, now or in the future, for this role.
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check.
• Must be willing to travel.
• Must be willing to work out of an office located in UK.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
• Uses critical thinking skills and disciplined approaches to help leaders and leadership teams resolve issues and define solutions. Evangelizes and contributes to the GE standards for critical thinking best practices and methodologies across the enterprise. Defines new critical thinking methods. Engages with external thought-leaders and communities on analytical and critical thinking methodologies.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity.
• Evangelizes the notion that anything worth doing takes repeated effort and failure. Drives the organization toward a continued excitement of attaining the vision and goal in the face of resistance.
• Innovates and integrates new processes and/or technology to significantly add value to GE. Identifies how the cost of change weighs against the benefits and advises accordingly. Proactively learns new solutions and processes to address seemingly unanswerable problems.
• Prior experience in architectural leadership required within a scrum team.
Locations: United Kingdom; Bristol