General Electric Staff Software Engineer in Bothell, Washington
Job Description Summary
Responsible for designing and programming a small module or a large component and designing a feature, set of features, or whole feature area. She/he will work independently and contribute to the immediate team and to other teams across business. She/he will Lead design discussion in a limited manner.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
• Identify the scope of the work, provide initial estimate and justify the estimate with facts
• Demonstrate the understanding of Agile software development lifecycle and able to distinguish the core inputs and outputs in each cycle.
• Engage in technical discussions; participate in technical designs and present technical ideas through white boarding
• Execute in a fast pace delivery mode and focus in delivering tasks to meet the product release goal
• Maintain code quality through best practices, unit testing and code quality automation
• Seek and provide feedback on design and development
• Demonstrate the ability to make informed technology choices after due diligence and impact assessment
• Understand whole product, its modules and the interrelationship between them while being an expert in the assigned component or module
• Help in designing interfaces and information exchange between modules
• Articulate the need for scalability and understand the importance of improving quality through testing.
• Be an expert in writing code that meets standards and delivers the desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
• Drive design reviews, define interfaces between code modules, and applies existing technology to designs
• Be an expert in assessing application performance and optimizing/improving it through design and best coding practices
• Be an expert in core data structures as well as algorithms and has the ability to implement them using language of choice
• Be responsible for providing technical leadership and defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure
• Provide guidance to a team of 5 to 7 developers with either planning and execution and/or design architecture using agile methodologies such as SCRUM
• Work with Product Line Leaders (PLLs) to understand product requirements & vision
•Write code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project.
For roles outside USA:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with advanced experience.
For roles in USA: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with minimum years of experience 6years Desired
Characteristics Technical Expertise:
• Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns and Java coding principles
• Hands-on experience in web services (REST, SOAP, WSDL etc.), using Apache Commons Suite & Maven, SQL Database such as Oracle MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.
• Hands-on experience with C# and C+• Experience testing, debugging, and troubleshooting applications
• Experience with Java is a plus
• Experience with Big Data / Hadoop and NoSQL Database is a plus
• Experience with Play framework, Angular is a plus
• Strong problem solving abilities and capable of articulating specific technical topics or assignments
• Experience in building scalable and highly available distributed systems
• Expert in breaking down problems and estimate time for development tasks
• Evangelizes how our technology solves customer problems from a technology and business perspective
• Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions
• Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas
• Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
• Shares knowledge, power, and credit, establishing trust, credibility, and goodwill
• Able to work under minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity
• Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility
• Skilled in providing oversight and mentoring team members. Shows ability to effectively delegate work
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years’ experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
This Job Description is intended to provide a high level guide to the role. However, it is not intended to amend or otherwise restrict/expand the duties required from each individual employee as set out in their respective employment contract and/or as otherwise agreed between an employee and their manager.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/en_global/desktop/assets/images/poster_screen_reader_optimized_w_supplement.pdf) . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes