General Electric Sr. Staff Software Engineer in Bothell, Washington
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for leading a software development team, as part of the larger distribution engineering group, to design and build
critical, and complex, software that manages the electric grid. In addition to meeting the role of a hands-on software engineer, you will
manage technically a small team of direct reports and, working with other engineering leads, drive efforts in an agile (SCRUM) process to meet Product
Release and customer support goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
•You will lead story mapping, estimation and planning sessions and hold yourself and the team to high standards of quality and
l In this role, you will:
Be responsible for providing technical leadership to develop and support software in a fast paced and agile development
environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure
Plan and execute the work with your supporting team and peers. Motivate, encourage, support and drive your team to own and
meet their commitments to the highest standard.
Write and test code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality. Work with user experience designers, product
owners, and subject matter experts (SMEs) to understand product requirements & vision
l Directly manage a small team providing coaching, feedback and development opportunities
Apply principles of good software design, SDLC Agile (Scrum) methodology, CI/CD, and practices like refactoring, TDD, etc., to
deliver high-quality, robust, secure, and exceptional software
Be accountable for the quality of released software, ensure code designs & code is reviewed and hold a high standard for
quality within both your team and the broader group. You will be expected to lead quality engineering efforts including root
cause analysis and process improvements.
Work closely with leadership to efficiency execute engineering backlog with a focus on quality, predictability and customer
For roles outside USA:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with significant experience.
For roles in USA:Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with minimum years of experience8years
• Facilitates and coaches software engineering team sessions on requirements estimation and alternative approaches to team sizing and estimation. Leads a community of practice around estimation to share best practices among teams
• Knowledgeable about developments in UX in various contexts, businesses, and industries. Quantifies effectiveness of design choices by gathering data. Drives accountability and adoption. Publishes guidance and documentation to promote adoption of design. Proposes design solutions based on research and synthesis; creates general design principles that capture the vision and critical concerns for a program.
• Demonstrates mastery of the intricacies of interactions and dynamics in Agile teams. Demonstrates advanced understanding of Lean Six Sigma principles (e.g., Black belt certified). Guides new teams to adopt Agile, troubleshoots adoption efforts, and guide continuous improvement. Provides training on Lean / Agile. Drives elimination of inefficiencies in coding process. Teaches XP practices to others. Actively embraces new methods and practices that increase efficiency and effectiveness.
• Evaluates technology to drive features and roadmaps. Maps technology trends to internal vision. Differentiates buzzwords from value proposition. Embraces technology trends that drive excellence beyond traditional practices (e.g., Test automation in lieu of traditional QA practices).
• Balances value propositions for competing stakeholders. Recommends a well-researched recommendation of buy vs. build solution. Conveys the value proposition for the company by assessing financial risks and gains of decisions and return on investment (ROI). Manages the process of building and maintaining a successful alliance. Understands and successfully applies common analytical techniques, including ROI, SWOT, and Gap analyses. Able to clearly articulate the business drivers relevant to a given initiative.
• Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas. Pre-emptively sees downstream consequences and effectively tailors influencing strategy to support a positive outcome. Uses experts or other third parties to influence.
• Able to verbalize what is behind decisions and downstream implications. Continuously reflecting on success and failures to improve performance and decision-making. Understands when change is needed. Participates in technical strategy planning.
• Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team. Able to navigate accountability in a matrixed organization.
Communicates and demonstrates a shared sense of purpose. Learns from failure.
• Able to effectively direct and mentor others in critical thinking skills. Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions using critical thinking and analysis skills and best practices. Finds important patterns in seemingly unrelated information.
• Influences and energizes other toward the common vision and goal. Maintains excitement for a process and drives to new directions of meeting the goal even when odds and setbacks render one path impassable.
• Innovates and integrates new processes and/or technology to significantly add value to GE. Identifies how the cost of change weighs against the benefits and advises accordingly. Proactively learns new solutions and processes to address seemingly unanswerable problems.
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years' experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
This Job Description is intended to provide a high level guide to the role. However, it is not intended to amend or otherwise restrict/expand the duties required from each individual employee as set out in their respective employment contract and/or as otherwise agreed between an employee and their manager.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/en_global/desktop/assets/images/poster_screen_reader_optimized_w_supplement.pdf) . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No