General Electric Lead Mechanical Designer - Electronic Packaging in Bohemia, New York
Job Description Summary
The Mechanical Designer Electronic Packaging reports to the Mechanical Engineering (ME) Manager. In this capacity, you are assigned design objectives with respect to:
· Designs and analyses that meet product performance requirements for use in electronic power conversion and control product development
· Life cycle requirements capture into electronic packaging designs
· Design for manufacturing / assembly / rapid prototyping/ cost
· Schedule commitment.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will use your expertise to develop and execute design objectives and affect short-term and long-term business goals. Your purpose will be to:
· Execute the design, tolerance analysis, or evaluation of assigned design projects using mechanical and electrical design principles
· Work closely with engineers, managers, and other designers in sustaining efforts, proposal development efforts, and prototype designs for complex electro-mechanical systems and components
· Create definitions of parts, modules, and assemblies in the form of 2-D cross sections, 3-D models, tolerance stack-ups, and electronic data formats to support analysis, manufacturing, and assembly
· Create CAD models using SolidEdge and NX, check, validate, and issue models and drawings
· Work within the guidelines of applicable GE Policies and Procedures, Engineering Standards, Specifications, Government and Commercial Standards, and special security requirements
· Ensure all interface characteristics between components are established and agreed upon by Designers and Engineers of mating parts
· Sit on Configuration Management review boards
· Check 3-D models and 2-D drawings using the Fagan inspection method and issue into Windchill
· Work closely with sustaining, electrical, quality and manufacturing engineers to ensure that the hardware meets imposed customer and derived requirements
· Work as one team with Pompano Beach and Long Island engineering teams and anticipate 10% travel time to vendors and other GE sites.
Associate Degree in Engineering
Five years of mechanical design experience in the development of electronic product packaging
Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to present designs to customers.
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/en_global/desktop/assets/images/poster_screen_reader_optimized_w_supplement.pdf) . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No