General Electric Staff Site Reliability Engineer in Bengaluru, India
Job Description Summary
The Site Reliability Engineer will be responsible for performance and availability of Compute and Network infrastructure consumed by all business segments. The Site Reliability teams are composed of highly talented individuals obsessively focused with availability through operational excellence. The ideal individual is relentlessly technical, passionate for automating everything and totally committed to delivering amazing customer experiences.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
• Establish performance baseline, capacity thresholds, correlate events, and define monitoring/alerting criteria
• Develop automated solutions to address potential problems before they result in a service interruption
• Provide impact assessment and mitigation plan for changes going into the production environment
• Investigate root cause of severe and systemic outages, identify corrective actions and apply across the enterprise
• Develop availability measures that align with consumer experience to accurately assess the usability of crucial services
• Build capacity models to baseline transactional load compared to resource performance and leverage data to predict overall system capacity while automating load placement to avoid outages
• Identify thresholds for all critical links in the data path to quickly isolate where imbalances may result in potential outages
• Analyze failure points in services to model risk level and resolution steps if failure occurs.
• Assist in driving architecture enhancements into system to mitigate potential failure points.
• Programmatically monitor for and remediate configuration drift of critical devices
• Develop response plans to potential failure points and evaluate effectiveness during planned tests
• Perform comprehensive operational health checks of the entire services to identify areas of concern and track activities to drive improvements at all levels of the architecture
• Provide technical coaching and direction to more junior teammates
For roles outside USA:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with advanced experience.
For roles in USA:Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with minimum years of experience6years
Desired CharacteristicsTechnical Expertise:
• Excellent knowledge of common operating systems (Unix/Linux, Windows)Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience scripting or developing software and services for the cloud Ruby, Python, Go, Java, Node.js, .NET, etc.
• Extensive knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, SNMP, FTP, syslog, TFTP, etc.
• Experience managing version control systems such as Git
• Experience deploying and managing infrastructure on public clouds such as AWS or Azure
• Experience using an automated configuration management system (Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.)
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Strong analytical and problem resolution skills
• Excellent knowledge of Network Management (SNMP, MIB)
• Experience with configuring, customizing, and extending monitoring tools (Datadog, Sensu, Grafana, Splunk, etc.)
• Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP networking, and inter-networking technologies (routing/switching, proxy, firewall, load balancing etc.)
• Knowledge and experience using Analytics Software Packages like Matlab, SAS, JMPro etc. Programming experience with open source scripting and data analysis packages like Python, R is a plus.
• Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions using critical thinking and analytics skills and best practices by actively incorporating input from various sources
• Strong analytical and strong problem solving skills - effectively evaluates information/data to make decisions; anticipates obstacles and develops plans to resolve
• Continuous improvement oriented – actively generates process improvements; champions and drives change initiatives
• Ability to deliver results in a rapidly changing dynamic environment
• Emotional Intelligence, ability to influence up and out and the ability to work independently
• Must be a team player with a strong desire to win
• Passionate about continuously learning and able to quickly adapt and pivot to win in dynamic environment
• Highly organized and efficient; able to balance competing priorities and execute accordingly
• Strong oral and written communication skills
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years' experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
This Job Description is intended to provide a high level guide to the role. However, it is not intended to amend or otherwise restrict/expand the duties required from each individual employee as set out in their respective employment contract and/or as otherwise agreed between an employee and their manager.