General Electric Sr Site Reliability Engineer in Bengaluru, India
Job Description Summary
The Site Reliability Engineering team is responsible for the reliability and performance of tools worldwide. We obsess over availability by building tools and engineering new systems to automate our platform. We are software engineers with full visibility and influenceacross the entire stack.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
• Develop automated solutions to predict and address potential problems before they result in a service interruption
• Oversee and adapt monitoring and alerting systems
• Collaborate with all GE business units worldwide, providing a bastion technical expertise
• Identify potential process improvements across the entire engineering organization
• Define and drive architectural enhancements into system to mitigate potential failure points
• Provide impact assessment and mitigation plan for changes going into the production environment
• Investigate root cause of severe and systemic outages, identify corrective actions
• Establish performance baseline, capacity thresholds, correlate events, and define monitoring/alerting criteria
• Provide technical coaching and direction to more junior teammates
For roles outside USA:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with advanced experience.
For roles in USA:Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with minimum years of experience4years
Desired CharacteristicsTechnical Expertise:
• Excellent knowledge of UNIX system internals
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Experience with all stages of an agile software development lifecycle (CI/CD)
• Familiar with large scale cluster management systems (Mesos, Kubernetes)
• Demonstrated ability to script around repeatable tasks (Go, Ruby, Python, Bash)
• Experience with developing cloud-native applications (High Availability)
• Able to dive into any level of a modern internet service (schedulers, containers, Linux kernel,
caching, object storage, distributed filesystems, RDBMS, NoSQL, etc.)
• Comfortable with network troubleshooting (tcpdump, routing, proxies, firewalls, load balancers,
• Able to troubleshoot and debug applications (C, Java, Go)
• Proficient in configuration management systems (Chef, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Salt)
• Experience with configuring, customizing, and extending monitoring tools (Sensu, Grafana, Prometheus, Graphite, Splunk, etc.)
• Experience deploying and managing infrastructure on public clouds (AWS, GCP, or Azure)
• Comfortable using Git on the command line
• Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas. Preemptively
sees downstream consequences and effectively tailors influencing strategy to support a
• positive outcome.
• Able to verbalize what is behind decisions and downstream implications. Continuously
reflecting on success and failures to improve performance and decision-making. Understands and encourages change when needed.
• Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team.
• Able to navigate accountability in a matrixed organization.
• Self-starter; communicates and demonstrates a shared sense of purpose. Learns from failure.
• Critical thinker; able to quickly adapt to changing environments
• A hacker or tinkerer at heart
• Risk taker, not afraid to think outside the box or challenge the status quo
• Emotional Intelligence, ability to influence up and out and the ability to work independently
• Must be a team player with a strong desire to win
• Passionate about continuously learning
• Highly organized and efficient; able to balance competing priorities and execute accordingly
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years' experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
This Job Description is intended to provide a high level guide to the role. However, it is not intended to amend or otherwise restrict/expand the duties required from each individual employee as set out in their respective employment contract and/or as otherwise agreed between an employee and their manager.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No