General Electric Application Operations Engineer in Bangalore, India
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
As a division of General Electric Company, GE Transportation is a global technology leader and supplier to the railroad, mining, marine, stationary power, and drilling industries. We drive change and progress — by rail and across oceans. We go farther and dig deeper, with advanced technology that connects people, data and machines, so resources can be gathered, goods can be transported and economies can thrive. We're passionate about making life better with new ideas and technologies. We're diverse, supporting our communities in many countries around the world. Experience personal growth and competency development as part of the GE Transportation team.
GE Transportation is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and employs approximately 12,000 employees worldwide. Learn more about GE Transportation today!
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE Transportation at http://www.getransportation.com, or follow us on twitter at @GETransport.
GE Transportation's Data & Analytics (D&A) team is at the forefront of the business priorities in building a next generation data and analytics ecosystems is looking for an Application Operations Engineer to support the operations of our large scale data analytics solutions including machine learning and deep learning models. This hands-on position is responsible for platform support and fixing bugs in existing applications built using a wide range of Big Data technologies.
• Responsible for supporting and maintaining multiple business and/or customer-facing applications and related data processing platforms and services ensuring they are consistently available and are highly performant meeting customer expectations.
• Acts as a primary executor in responding and remediating customer and user-reported application issues and incidents from data ingestion through consumption.
• Demonstrate technical expertise across Data Lake technologies to efficiently troubleshoot and improve application performance and availability and perform root cause analysis and solutions to recurring problems.
• Follow ITIL standards for change, problem, request & incident management and ensure Incidents and problem tickets issued against supported CI’s get resolved within published SLAs. Maintain CMDB (configuration management db) to define application relationships to other systems, processes, owners and support contacts.
• Continuously measures application performance and availability against published SLA’s and operational commitments, end to end to deliver continuous improvement opportunities for application performance, data quality & accuracy, application availability and operational optimization.
• Skilled at various approaches to monitor Applications and data flows via effective information dashboards for operational metrics, end to end system data processing, incident management, change control, and compliance.
• Can prioritize competing support requests/incidents across multiple supported applications and maintain focus on identifying and solving highest priority and highest business impact issues first.
• Is aware of system-wide changes and application deployments that might impact application availability for users and takes necessary steps to prepare for and prevent applications outages due to these changes.
• Execute production releases in conjunction with scrum team release schedules
• Supports driving the operational strategy for technology, quality strategy and organizational and resource strategy. Develop and/or enhance support process standards, communication, tracking, escalation and resolution.
• Proactively learns new tools.
• Identifies opportunities for application performance and availability improvement and promotes their adoption.
• Engages positively across multiple teams to establish clarity, vision and mutual trust to achieve a business goal.
• Engage with product owners, end users and extended teams to ensure timely and informed communications on planned and unplanned outages
• Coaches and mentors other team members including contingent workers. Supports contingent workers, access, and time tracking.
• Understand the scope and roles of the DevOps scrum teams and how best to interact with them for the best support of the applications.
• Identifies misalignments of technology, processes, and direction against the organizational strategy. Makes suggestions to course correct.
• Considers compliance policies, precedent and experience when making complex decisions.
• Takes calculated risks. Assist and support proof of concepts and new technology introductions for installation, configuration and validation.
• Coaches and mentors other team members including contracted labor.
• Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Information Technology (IT), Computer Science, or Engineering from an accredited college or university
• Minimum of 4-6 years of experience in Data Analytics, Data Warehousing or Business Intelligence (BI)
• Minimum 5 years of experience with relational data bases, Ingestion and reporting & Analytics
• Deep understanding and experience in developing with Hadoop platform (Hortonworks experience is a plus)
• Hands on experience in HDFS, Hive SQL, Spark, Python, R
• Extensive knowledge in different programming or scripting languages like R, Python,Scala etc.,
• Experience in applying and developing machine learning, deep learning models/algorithms and testing performance of ML models
• Good understanding and experience of working in AWS/cloud platform
• Working knowledge of Kafka is a plus to utilize the common ingestion framework
• Good understanding and working knowledge of Talend
• Understanding of data replication tools
• Minimum of 5-7 years of experience with IT projects / teams
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in an information systems design, implementation or operations
• Expertise in most of the data technologies - RDBMS, Big Data (Hadoop)
• Working knowledge of Infrastructure automation(chef)
• Familiarity with cloud products and strategies
• Working knowledge with Java and web services
• Strong team player, with the ability to collaborate well with others, to solve problems and actively incorporate input from various sources
• Demonstrated customer focus, with the ability to evaluate decisions through the eyes of the customer, build strong customer relationships, and create processes with customer viewpoint
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and succinct manner and effectively evaluates information / data to make decisions
• Strong interpersonal, and leadership skills, with proven abilities to communicate complex topics to leaders and peers in a simple, clear, plan oriented manner
• Ability to anticipate obstacles and develop plans to resolve those obstacles
• Change oriented, with the ability to actively generates process improvements, support and drives change, and confront difficult circumstances in creative ways
• Resourceful and quick learner, with the ability to efficiently seek out, learn, and apply new areas of expertise , as needed
• Highly self-motivated, with the ability to work independently
• Superior organization, coaching and interpersonal skills, combined with effective leadership, decision-making, and communication
• Strong oral and written communication skills (English)
• Strategic and clear thinking to translate discreet and complex ideas to business-driven results
• Detail-oriented with a strong drive to enforce common standards
• Demonstrated acceptance and adherence to high ethical, moral, and personal values
Locations: India; Bangalore