General Electric Director of User Experience - Manufacturing in Albany, New York
Job Description Summary
This position will apply your knowledge of management, user experience design methodologies, best practices and proven processes to help define, design and deliver digital technology projects and products on budget, within planned schedule with superb quality. You will lead user experience engagements that require in-depth knowledge in specialized business domains. You will help build the future of digital technology at GE, ensuring business objectives are met and users are delighted.
In this role, you will:
• Coach, mentor, lead, and provide career guidance and development for a group of UX professionals
• Identify skill gaps within the team and work to fill gaps with talent, experience or training; develop, onboard or implement new tools and processes to enable the team
• Utilize your technical proficiency in Design Research, Visual Design, Interaction Design, Design Technology or Content Strategy by owning and managing multiple rapid research, design, prototyping and product development efforts, including budgets
• Influence change and business decisions through partnerships with others
• Work with product owners and architects to develop multi-generational product plans
• Work directly with customers and users to understand business and technical needs
• Work with product owners across the businesses to understand market needs & vision; work with
teams to quickly translate that vision into designs for software
• Participate in and lead team discussions relative to current user experience projects
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of Agile / Lean UX methodologies
• Guide effective documentation and communication of design - via wireframes, mockups, requirements
engineering and UI components
• Communicate effectively both within immediate team and GE leadership. Ensure team receives consistent messages and has clear understanding of business direction, strategy and results
• Evangelize the UX practice internally and externally
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) or Design.
A minimum 10 years of professional experience in User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, or product management.
• Leads team’s engagement with product owners and other business stakeholders to frame problems, prioritize and scope design efforts, receive and respond to design feedback, with the ultimate goal of
shipping a high-quality product that is valued by our customers
• Leads teams to use participatory design activities (e.g. paper prototype co-creation, card sorting) to understand vision, business model and assumptions and tacit knowledge about user needs and behaviors.
• Leads teams to conduct user research to understand user needs, mental models and working contexts
• Synthesizes output of stakeholder research & creates visualizations that effectively summarize key insights related to user and customer needs and behaviors, product definition.
• Leads teams to create annotated prototypes or wireframes of user interface designs that visually and
textually communicate the behavior of a software application.
• Facilitates constructive design thinking workouts.
• Directs and mentors others to use systems thinking to address problems and questions at scale.
• Plans and scopes design programs that improve product and service UX at scale.
• Creates, analyzes & manages projects that provide direct business impact.
• Demonstrates detailed knowledge of how industry trends & competitive landscape impact GE.
• Partners with business leaders to align strategic projects with business objectives.
• Sees patterns within industry issues.
• Identifies new project opportunities based on design thinking principles and prior outcomes.
• Translates the realistic and creative ideas into plans and actions. Thinks beyond boundaries to create
• Assembles the larger 360 view and communicates that picture to others.
• Uses facilitative techniques to lead cross-functional teams
• Recognizes and shapes group dynamic, energy, progress, unproductive/disruptive behavior toward
desired goals of session.
• Influences through others, including by use of experts or other third parties. Builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas. Foresees downstream consequences and effectively tailors communication strategy to support a positive outcome.
• Uses root cause analysis to identify, correct and/or eliminate the causes of problems as well as the problem itself.
• Recommends corrective as well as preventative actions. Recommends timeframes in which to execute preventative actions. Initiate change requests in response to risks that threaten the projects. Provides advice in managing business risk.
• Creates meaningful stories and two-way communications that drive behavior.
• Communicates functional strategy and roadmap with sufficient detail for teams to utilize.
• Coaches others on effective presentation skills.
• Collaborates with leadership on mediums and messages that drive the intended direction of the organization with measurable results.
• Uses critical thinking skills and disciplined approaches to help leaders and leadership teams resolve
issues and define solutions.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity
• Identifies new opportunities by creating bonds of trust with customers. Creates a team environment where people are motivated, share more, feel more engaged, and ultimately perform better.
• Is able to help colleagues see the value of a human-focused perspective in technology research, design and development.
• Acts and decides appropriately when all available information may not be possible to obtain.
• Supports the team to drive through ambiguity
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/englobal/desktop/assets/images/posterscreenreaderoptimizedwsupplement.pdf) . (http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf) Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No