General Electric Senior Legal Counsel, ASEAN in Various, Malaysia
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Healthcare provides transformational medical technologies and services to meet the demand for increased access, enhanced quality and more affordable healthcare around the world. GE works on things that matter - great people and technologies taking on tough challenges. From medical imaging, software & IT, patient monitoring and diagnostics to drug discovery, biopharmaceutical manufacturing technologies and performance improvement solutions, GE Healthcare helps medical professionals deliver great healthcare to their patients.
At GE ASEAN, we are imagination at work. From the Vietnam Engineering Center which focuses on product design, applications and services for the oil and gas sector to the NUS-GE Singapore Water Technology Centre which develops new solutions in water treatment, the GE ASEAN teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas into leading products and services that solve some of the world’s toughest challenges. Join an innovative industry leader for an unprecedented career of significant influence within the region and beyond. Work alongside the best minds in the business and take advantage of GE’s generous investment in your education, growth and advancement. If you’re an energetic, focused problem solver, ready to share ideas and face challenges with flexibility, then join the GE ASEAN team in creating the next generation of products and services that will impact the world for generations to come.
The Senior Legal Counsel for ASEAN (the Region) will be the lead counsel for GE Healthcare in ASEAN (the Business), supporting the ASEAN business leadership on all aspects of the operations and initiatives of the Business Acting as a business partner, the Senior Legal Counsel is expected to provide advice to the Business’ leaders on observed opportunities and commercial direction, as well as day to day legal and compliance issues.
Key responsibilities/essential functions include:
• Working with the Business’ commercial teams for the Region as a business partner to help identify opportunities to drive business forward and support growth opportunities and initiatives
• Proactively working with the GE Healthcare commercial and country teams across ASEAN as a business partner to identify opportunities to drive business forward and support growth opportunities, e.g. in structuring, drafting, negotiating and closing of complex transactions, assisting with tender reviews etc.
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating business agreements and transactions
• Providing advice working in collaboration with the Regulatory and Compliance specialists in GE, in particular in relation to healthcare compliance and healthcare regulatory matters
• Managing outside counsel, when brought in to assist
• Managing / supporting the management of disputes and litigation
• Supporting the development and maintenance of a strong culture of compliance including supporting Compliance projects, including e.g. support to the compliance specialists on forums such as the Compliance Review Board
• Applying combined business and legal judgment to proposed deals, relationships and other issues requiring legal or compliance attention
• Conducting impactful training to the Business’ commercial and other teams in relation to legal, regulatory and compliance matters
• Assisting on matters of corporate housekeeping such as related to powers of attorney, shareholder meetings and shareholding structures
• Managing relationships with government authorities as and when needed e.g. in relation to corporate and business licenses, health authorities, Ministries of Health
• Provide specialist advice on matters of local law across the Region, in particular on public procurement laws, competition laws, data and privacy laws, civil and commercial codes and integrity laws (anti-bribery and anti-corruption), anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing laws
• Reviewing equipment sales and service contract in accordance with the Business’ policies and procedures
• Assist in developing standardized, commercial models/contracts and ensuring systematic use by the commercial teams
• Gather facts, carry out legal analysis and advise business partners on potential risks
• Support GE in the operation of its internal compliance program, in particular conducting investigations and preparing investigation reports with recommended and corrective action for closure by the region’s compliance leader and general counsel
LL.B (or equivalent) with active bar membership
In the ASEAN region of at least 10 years PQE at a reputable law firm or in-house corporate legal department in a multi-national company, including but not limited to drafting, negotiating and closing complex business transactions (i.e. purchase, sale and distribution agreements).
Demonstrable experience and ability to identify legal and non-legal issues in relation to complex transactions, including e.g. insurance, taxation, risk/reward, commercial, regulatory, compliance, legal, financial issues
Keen interest and experience in partnering with clients; applying combined business and legal judgment to deals, relationships and other issues requiring legal or compliance attention.
Previous experience prioritizing conflicting demands from multiple business clients in an extremely fast-paced environment or matrix organization.
High ethics and integrity, mature and independent, clear in logic and good in judgment, able to work with self-motivation.
Effective communicator in English
Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills with ability to interface with cross-functional and cross-region teams, able to work under pressure and willing to take challenges
Experience of the Healthcare industry and previous exposure to medical industry regulations
Demonstrated experience providing legal advice in a highly regulated environment
Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated teamwork skills
Adaptable/Flexible: Being open to change in response to new information, different or unexpected circumstances, and/or to work in ambiguous situations
Clear thinking: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed and accuracy based on best available information, and communicating priorities clearly and concisely
External focus: Understanding areas of law, regulations, risks, marketplace dynamics, industry trends, and the compliance landscape
Bi-lingual capabilities in at least 1 language from the ASEAN region
Locations: Malaysia, Singapore; Singapore, Malaysia
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.