GE Software test developer in Stafford, United Kingdom
GE Energy Connections
Energy Connections Grid Solutions
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE’s worldwide HVDC Centre of Excellence in Stafford, provides complete turn-key solutions for the rapidly-growing global HVDC market. Project Management, Engineering, Manufacturing, Test Laboratories and R&D are all located in Stafford. www.ge.com
Posted Position Title
Software test developer
Applications and Software
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United Kingdom
The provision of the GE HVDC Control system is critical to the success of each HVDC Contract awarded. These complex and technically advanced systems incorporate software based on standard modules with bespoke parameters and client specific functions.
This role has key objectives of designing, developing and integrating of world-class Control & Protection software for VSC and LCC systems.
• Participate in definition and architecture of the automated test routines
• Review, understand, and implement functional tests for HVDC systems
• Interact with other members in the Validation, and Verification teams to fill knowledge gaps related to actual testing
• Obtain approvals from various teams about the veracity, rigor, and sufficiency of test routines developed.
• Understand, and articulate test objectives of various functional tests
• Learn about, and adapt new tools, libraries and components into the Automatic Test landscape
• Play a high profile and proactive part in the development and deployment of automatic tests, working methods and best practices.
• Learn details of concepts, paradigms, and engineering practices for HVDC stations
Degree Qualified, or equivalent, in Electrical/Computer Engineering Discipline
Experience and Knowledge
Significant experience as Software Engineer of building automatic tests for complex electronic systems
Knowledge of Electric Power industry.
Experience in professional Python Software development
Experience with scientific computing using Python tool kits
Experience with Python web frameworks
Experience in working in an agile environment.
Software development and software project delivery processes
Knowledge and experience in Agile development practices
Test Driven Design techniques (e.g. CI/Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, automated regression testing)
Requirement management; requirement capture, RQM tools
Change control and issues tracking (e.g. CCB, Jira)
Release management; release testing and notes, expertise in version control (CVS SVN GIT HG)
Software architecture, modelling, XML
Sense of urgency and delivery
Ability to be a team player within large cross-functional teams
Sound level of communication skills
"Professional" approach to engineering delivery
Right first time culture & attitude