GE Lead Engineer 1 - Program Management in Stafford, United Kingdom
GE Energy Connections
Energy Connections Grid Solutions
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE’s worldwide HVDC Centre of Excellence in Stafford, provides complete turn-key solutions for the rapidly-growing global HVDC market. Project Management, Engineering, Manufacturing, Test Laboratories and R&D are all located in Stafford. www.ge.com
Posted Position Title
Lead Engineer 1 - Program Management
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United Kingdom
The provision of the GE HVDC Control system is critical to the success of each HVDC Contract awarded. These complex and technically advanced systems incorporate software based on standard modules with bespoke parameters and client specific functions.
This role has key objectives of Project management and Technical coordination of project team(s) designing, developing and testing world-class Control & Protection software platform solutions for VSC and LCC systems.
Project management and Technical coordination of a portfolio of R&D projects. Provide project leadership and guidance from project concept through to project delivery and conduct project feedback reviews at the appropriate time. Provide an accurate monthly management report of all assigned projects.
• Project scope: Producing and defining the Project Implementation Strategy for review, agreement and implementation with the Platform Group Leader. Timely communication of any change to all stakeholders.
• Project Requirements gathering and release planning : Collect the project requirements and needs from the customer projects together with product owners, make prioritization and release planning.
• Project planning & execution: Define the project work breakdown structure (WBS), resources and skill levels required to meet the delivery timescales. Developing and maintaining project timescales providing contingency planning where required to ensure a timely delivery. Project(s) Scrum Master; Product Backlog management, Sprint planning, daily meetings.
• HDVC Application Development: Drive HVDC Applications development for VSC/LCC applications. Improvements for SW life cycle management, development process, build and configuration management and automatic testing tools and environment.
• Risk & opportunity management: Risk, issue, change and opportunity management and mitigation to meet the delivery schedule.
• Project cost management: Ensure project is delivered within the required budget Preparing and presenting montly reports including KPI’s, budget and schedule program
• Project Quality management: Ensure adherence to the Gate reviews and QA processes, preparing, presenting and closing out.issues raised
Provide input to Tenders, reviews and technical meetings as requested.Working with discipline leads to ensure the Training, Guidance and Mentoring of Engineers and Senior Engineers is in place.
Degree Qualified, or equivalent, in an Engineering Discipline ideally with a software content
Ideally membership of a project management body (APM or similar)
Certified Scrum Master (or proven track record in Agile project management)
Experience and Knowledge
The successful candidate will have an existing career within Project Management with hands-on understanding of software development for complex real-time systems - knowledge and confidence in applying modern project management frameworks and leading Scrum based project execution teams. The successful candidate has good communication skills to discuss with multiple customer projects and prioritiazing requirements and release with multiple stakeholders.
Software development and software project delivery processes
Knowledge and experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Certified Scrum Master)
Knowledge of SW platform development for multiple products from same code base
Software configuration management (build scripts, build management)
Model-Based Design techniques (Matlab-Simulink)
Test Driven Design techniques (e.g. CI/Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, automated regression testing)
Requirement management; requirement capture, RQM tools
Change control and issues tracking (e.g. CCB, Jira)
Release management; release testing and notes, version control
Automatic testing tools knowledge
Static analysis (e.g. Klocwork, SonarQube)
Knowledge and experience in safety critical software development practices (e.g. IEC 61508, IEC 62304)
Knowledge of HVDC
Knowledge of Power Electronics control system design
Software architecture and modelling (e.g. UML, SysML)
Ability to make decisions/Sense of urgency
Ability to functionally manage a team and be a team player
Sound level of communication skills, able and confident to interface with senior people and external customers
"professional" approach to engineering delivery
Right first time culture & attitude