General Electric Chief Marketing Officer, GE Ventures in Sacramento, California
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is responsible for building a high performing marketing organization within GE Ventures, focused on internal and external marketing and driving the marketing strategy for GE Ventures.
Equity investing, new business creation, licensing, healthymagination and Catalyst (scientific and academic research market development) teams are on the Ventures platform. A strategic, entrepreneurial and creative leader, the CMO will lead horizon scanning, deep market analysis, segmentation, and development of ideas and opportunities that drive new perspectives and paths to explore. The CMO will drive increased awareness of the organization both internally and externally to relevant stakeholder groups, including the startup/venture capital communities, and the licensing professionals, including corporate and academic technology transfer offices. Experience creating service products/offerings that can then be marketed to internal and external stakeholders is key part of this role.
In this role, you will:
• Set the overall strategic direction for the Marketing function, while aligning with and shaping the broader organization’s plans and annual goals
• Understand the external global/local influences and macro forces (policy, regulatory, economic, social, technological, environmental, etc.) and implications for GE Ventures & healthymagination
• Gather, analyze and use market knowledge to drive commercial growth and strategy development
• Use key market knowledge to develop hypotheses for creative solutions to business challenges and identify new business opportunities across the portfolio
• Collaborate with the practice area heads of Equity Investing, NBC, LTV, healthymagination, and Catalyst to embed an external market point-of-view into the organization’s work
• Proactively evaluate/assess the relevant market landscape, monitoring changes in market dynamics and competition, as well as other related factors
• Develop and execute strategies to clearly communicate, sustainably, our key differentiator to other similarly situated CVCs to entrepreneurs, VCs, licensees, licensors, key partners, and internal BUs, Functions, GGOs, senior leadership
• Act as a thought leader and partner to the ventures, incubations, licensing and Healthymagination teams
• Serve as a partner to GE business units and the GRC
• Represent GE Ventures at external functions and in appropriate industry forums as a speaker and thought leader
• Develop/track key metrics, which may include stakeholder surveys
• Develop and manage an operating budget and other resource requirements
• Hire, develop and lead a team of direct reports and matrix resources
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 15 years of related business experience, engagement with VC and Licensing ecosystems highly preferred
• Proven high level management of internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to lead and participate in strategic discussions
• Experience interfacing with both internal team members and external partners as part of a solutions-based process
• Experience managing large, complex, strategic collaborative relationships
• Ability to energize, develop, and build rapport at all levels within an organization
• Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
• Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills
• Proactive, self-directed, creative, strategic thinking and able to implement plan via a well thought out process
• The candidate must demonstrate proven success in an entrepreneurial environment
• Willing to travel approximately 50% of the time
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
• MBA in Finance, Marketing or Strategy preferred and advanced degree in sciences highly desired
• Prior experience in the financial services specifically in venture capital or private equity/Licensing experience a plus
• Industry experience in energy, internet of things, software, and/or manufacturing space required; healthcare a plus
• Outstanding communication and organizational skills; Strong presenter
• Strong executive presence and experience in dealing with C-level suite execs
• Able to work independently. Formulate and execute a self-driven engagement plan
• Able to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously with appropriate sense of urgency
• Able to learn new industries, customers and technologies and translate value to customers
• Able to analyze, interpret, draw conclusions, and implement solutions on a variety of complex issues
• Individual must be self-focusing and be able to drive the critical few priorities in an environment where many demands and requests present themselves
Locations: United States; California, Massachusetts; Menlo Park, Boston
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.