General Electric Build & Release Engineer in Livingston, United Kingdom
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
Drives increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse at a release level. Works independently and contributes to the immediate team and to other teams across business. Adds value to build and release engineering discussions. Supports and improves tools for continuous build, automated testing and release management.
• Improve and maintain build automation with continuous integration/deployment systems.
• Investigate, develop and integrate new tools and technologies into development, build and release processes.
• Own code repositories, test & integration builds and deployment, ensuring availability and performance.
• Maintain, administer, and upgrade development and build environments on a regular basis.
• Develop and manage internal tools to support development requirements.
• Produce release builds of the software for delivery to our customers.
• Manage source code merges required to support earlier versions of our software.
• Provide technical support to development regarding usage of development tools and processes.
• A degree within a relevant subject or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Coding/scripting expertise in perl, regex and shell, and a good working knowledge of one of makefiles, C/C++, C#, Java, and VB.
• Experience administering Configuration Management solutions, such as ClearCase (UCM), SVN and GiT.
• Experience with Oracle Database system administration.
• Experience using Linux operating systems
• Experience working in an Agile environment.
• Understands the importance of different software environments like Development, Test, Projects and Production.
• Ability to develop scripts and utilities to automate the build and development environments to improve the efficiency of the engineering tools and processes.
• Understanding of security strategies and tools to protect critical software resources.
• Good understanding of modern software design and development methodologies.
• Recognizes collaborative behavior and participates in collaborative activities.
• Experience with Static Code Analysis tools and reporting.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
Locations: United Kingdom; Livingston
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.