GE Composite Test Engineer in Greenville, South Carolina
GE Renewable Energy
Renewable Energy OnShore Wind
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Renewable Energy is a 9 billion dollar start-up that brings together one of the broadest product and service portfolios of the renewable energy industry. With 13,000 employees present in more than 40 countries, and headquartered in Paris, GE Renewable Energy is backed-up by the resources of the world’s first digital industrial company. We take the earth’s most abundant resources - the strength of the wind, the force of water, and the heat of the sun, - and put them to work with breakthrough technology that unleashes their true possibilities. Combining onshore and offshore wind, hydro and innovative technologies such as concentrated solar power, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 370 gigawatts capacity globally to make the world work better and cleaner.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Composite Test Engineer
Disciplinary Engineering and Science
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
As a Composite Test Engineer you will be an engineer within the Blade Technology team. The mission of this organization is to partner with GE Wind’s blade engineering team, to develop new wind turbine blade technologies, validate them for acceptance and transfer them into production.
The Composite Test Engineer works with others to develop and execute mechanical tests on composite components from coupon to blade scale to quantify the mechanical performance window of new materials, designs or manufacturing technologies. You will be working in a cross disciplined R&D (Research & Development) environment, providing feedback on designs, manufacturing processes, test methods, operating equipment, collecting data, producing parts, and troubleshooting. You will apply your technical knowledge on projects, serving as a technical resource in the organization, and effectively communicate results to team & customers.
As a Composite Test Engineer, you will:
• Conduct structural composite validation through mechanical testing
• Evaluate process characteristics
• Develop and expanding our structural validation capability
• Perform tests internally as well as managing external test efforts
• Interface with Engineering, Supply Chain, Suppliers, Technicians, and equipment to progress the design or method to production
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field of study
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in composite testing
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
• Knowledge of applicable ASTM (American Society for Testing & Materials) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) test methods for composites
• Experience operating MTS (Material Testing Systems), Instron, Zwicke or similar test equipment
• Ability to operate characterization equipment such as DMA (Defense Mapping Agency), DSC (Defense Supply Center), rheology, SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) and optical microscopy
• Experience testing large scale composite parts (10m+)
• Durability testing of polymer matrix composites
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint
• Capable of report generation and analysis
• Experience with VARTM (Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding), RTM (Resin Transfer Molding), and LRTM (Light Resin Transfer Molding) composite manufacturing processes
• Experience with CATIA and ANSYS composite analysis
• Basic mechanical proficiency including the ability to create prototype drawings for part fabrication using 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) software
• Polymer composite chemistry experience
• Experience with robotics
• Strong demonstrated team-based skills
• Strong interpersonal skills a must: presence, high credibility, quick learner, ability to develop relationships
• Ability to work under pressure & meet deadlines
• Ability to work across all functions / levels as part of a team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with Data Acquisition Systems
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on twitter:@geconnections