GE Engineering Degree Apprentice in Cheltenham, United Kingdom
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
AtGE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas into advances in aviation that solve some of the world’s toughest problems. Join us and you’ll find yourself in a dynamic environment where our ongoing, substantial investment in research and development keeps us moving forward and looking ahead. At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here you’ll work collaboratively and across functions with the highest caliber talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. Whether it’s the next generation of ecomagination products or the future of aircraft engines, we’ve got the state-of-the-art resources to make those innovations a reality. If you’re passionate about aviation and looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE in reengineering the sky through aviation innovations that will impact the globe for generations to come.
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
Posted Position Title
Engineering Degree Apprentice
Product Design and Development
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United Kingdom
The GE Aviation Systems Engineering Degree Apprenticeship is an IET Approved Scheme for people with passion for technology, dedication to technical excellence and who feel a connection to GE's core values.
The program is designed as an alternative to full-time University, allowing you to obtain an Engineering Degree, while gaining experience on a variety of live Aviation projects, and accelerating your professional development through challenging additional assignments.
This is an exceptional Degree Apprentice Programme, having been established in 2009, and provides continued study with experience of exciting Aerospace Projects. Exposing you to all areas of a world leading global organization, you will have the opportunity to see first-hand, how ideas come to life. Degree Apprentices benefit from GE’s global breadth by working alongside project teams across the world.
The Degree Apprentice Programme is a fantastic opportunity to challenge yourself in an encouraging, harmonious environment, while gaining hands on experience of some of the most advanced engineering challenges in the world today.
The programme consists of:
APPRENTICE LEVEL 6 (Years 1 - 5)
• NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations (PEO)
• NVQ Level 4 in Engineering Leadership
• Institute of Leadership & Management Level 3 Certificate in Leadership & Management
• IET Engineering Technician (EngTech) Level after year 3
• A series of work placements within our engineering teams to gain skills and experience through working in real Avionics projects in years 2 & 3
• Residential courses to improve your Professional Development Skills, including presentations, collaboration and leadership skills, as well as your business insight
• Enrolment to the GE Gold Award Development scheme
• Support from Technical and Pastoral Mentors
• Numerous opportunities to participate in enrichment activities, local school’s engagement, the GE Apprentice network and various external events such as the Cheltenham Science Festival, Imagineering, Go4SET, GirlsGetSET and the K'Nex Challenge.
• BEng Hons Electronic & Computer Engineering
• Aviation Appreciated Course (Ground School & Flight Training)
• Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
• IET Incorporated Engineer (IEng) Level after year 5
• Longer, in-depth work placements, within a specific engineering discipline, within our engineering teams to continue development of engineering skills and experience in years 4 & 5
APPRENTICE LEVEL 7 (Years 5 - 7)
• The option to continue to a MEng in Digital Systems Engineering
• A formal engineering role in one of our key avionics projects
• Progression towards IET Chartered Engineer (CEng)
On completion, you will have the skills and experience required for future positions across our engineering functions, including:
Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Test Systems, Factory Support and Customer Support allowing you the scope to grow your career in a variety of directions.
Visit our YouTube channel to learn more:https://www.youtube.com/user/GE
This posting is for the September 2017 Apprentice intake, and Assessment Centres will take place during weeks during March 2017. If you get through the initial CV screening, you will be invited to take an online, on-demand, interview. Please keep an eye on your emails for the invitation.
You will need:
• Three A-levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including Math plus Physics, Electronics or similar or equivalent knowledge and experience
• An analytic, collaborative approach to problem solving
• Dedication to a career in technology and a real passion for engineering
• An understanding of our business and products
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
Additional consideration will be given if you have:
• Pro-activeness, enthusiasm and have a passion for Engineering
• Positive contribution in team environments
• Good problem solving and solution building skills
• Commitment to Personal Development and Community Volunteering
• GE Work Experience and/or participation in one of our volunteering schemes (GirlsGetSET, Cheltenham Science Festival, K’Nex Challenge, Schools STEM Awards, Imagineering, Go4SET, etc.)