General Electric Development Technologist (Additive Filtration) in Cardiff, United Kingdom
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
There is no other life sciences company quite like GE Healthcare Life Sciences. A $5 billion business with more than 11,000 individuals in over 100 countries, we are at work enabling a new era in medicine. For more than 60 years, GE Healthcare Life Sciences has globally supported the development and use of new therapies, helping accelerate the journey from biological understanding to clinical therapy. GE Healthcare Life Sciences works with cutting edge technology enabling and advancing the discovery, diagnosis and medical treatments of the present and the future. We are accelerating biology to cell therapy in ways no other company can.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and watch our discoveries in action on our YouTube channel.
Learn More About GE Healthcare Life Sciences
Learn More About Careers at GE Healthcare – Life Sciences at http://goo.gl/AEAOb0
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
We are developing our capabilities in Additive manufacturing for our Lab Filtration business and looking to engage the appropriate expertise to lead the technical contributions in this product area. This role presents a unique opportunity to join our dedicated, motivated and innovative team in Cardiff, UK. Capable of lone working but also able to work within and influencing cross-functional teams.
You will report into the Fibre & Membrane Technologies Research and Development group with additional reporting to the local site R+D Leader. The primary responsibilities of the role are technology and product development for filtration devices utilising additive and/or standard manufacturing capabilities within the laboratory filtration arena.
• Planning, execution and delivery of direct scientific work assignments to agreed quality and temporal metrics
• Providing Knowledge and technical capabilities in additive design engineering, which will include: specification definition, conversion of outputs to CAD and 3D CAD models through tools such as SolidWorks, practical development of concept samples through eg 3D prototyping and finishing, use of material handing tools and device testing, eg Bubble; Burst; Retention; strain and other “stress” test methodologies and equipment.
• Utilise Additive engineering expertise to drive project relevant 3D technology development through liaison and leadership of in-house and external project teams.
• Designing and conducting key laboratory testing work for critical support activities to drive additive manufacturing development for filter device products in various application areas.
• Technical writing of reports, publications and product support materials to agreed timelines
• Internal and external, oral and poster presentation of project results
• Providing support to, and working collaboratively with, Supply Chain, Project management, Product Management and Quality personnel in the formation of product requirement specifications that ensure customer satisfaction (especially in field of laboratory filtration). Providing support to and working collaboratively with Sourcing, Supplier quality engineering in raw material performance managing, supplier audit via acting as technical expert. Applying working knowledge / understanding of device manufacturing process such as injection moulding and materials, Advanced manufacturing and automated production line needs
• Ensuring that project outputs are transitioned appropriately from R&D to commercialization, through effective collaboration with legal, IP, manufacturing and sales teams
• Expanding personal knowledge-base and collaborating with the relevant scientific experts, regulatory bodies and customers to ensure that the quality and relevance of scientific projects, developed products and support activities are maintained
• Identifying and mitigating scientific project risks. Developing and communicating remedial action plans when necessary
• Generating ideas and intellectual property that are relevant to the developing additive technology area and broader business strategy.
• Complying with safety practices, ensuring that all work is assessed and conducted in a safe manner, within Company and statutory requirements and regulations
• Experience in the field of additive engineering to support new product development of additively manufactured applications for the Lab Filtration product line including design conceptualization and 3D CAD modelling, and development testing.
• Recommend, assess and implement design changes to optimize for additive manufacturing and facilitates reviews with Lab Filtration group and wider teams
• Understand customer requirements and CTQs and ensures design meets the application needs
Continuation of Essential Responsibilities:
• Create conceptual models and manufacturing drawings for additive manufactured components.
• Design, instigate and document testing to prove out Additive manufactured designs for development and qualification purposes
• Identify additional additive manufacturing opportunities within the product line
• Support with the infrastructure requirements (HW/SW) to allow the design of bespoke products for the Lab Filtration portfolio and drive development activities with both internal and external partners
Qualifications / Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Mechanical or Polymer Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry or similar technical background or equivalent knowledge & experience.
• Prior experience of additive (3D) manufacturing technology.
• Prior experience of laboratory filtration applications or industry air/liquid filtration applications.
• Prior experience of plastic engineering or injection moulding.
• Experience of direct customer interaction on technical and product performance challenges.
• Demonstrable knowledge of the Quality Systems and experience ensuring compliance to ISO9001
• Post-graduate experience in R&D environment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Good interpersonal skills, demonstrable communication/presentation and scientific writing skills, preferably in the form of a bibliography of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
• Demonstrated team working and scientific coordination/leadership skills.
• Rigorous thinking, self-motivated, eager to learning new knowledge, able to work independent.
• Flexibility and adaptability
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
• Experience working in a rapidly changing commercial R&D environment preferably within laboratory or industrial filtration systems environment.
• Product development experience and knowledge of product development frameworks and procedures
• Prior experience of working to GMP and/or ISO13485 quality standards.
• PhD or MSc or equivalent in Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry or similar or equivalent knowledge & experience
Locations: United Kingdom; Cardiff
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.