General Electric Data Science Intern (Jan 2018 , 4 months) in Burnaby, British Columbia
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
The GE Predix industrial IoT platform is specifically designed for the unique and complex challenges of industrial data. We created Predix to drive the digital transformation of GE’s own businesses spanning over 10 industries from aviation to utilities. Today, this unique and flexible platform is being adopted by industrial leaders around the world.
Want to know what we’re working on at GE Canada? Visit www.gereports.ca
GE Canada is recognized as one of the Top Employers for Young People in 2017. To learn more about our Campus program please go to: www.campuscareers.ge.ca
GE – imagination at work
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Title: Data Science Intern
GE Business: GE Digital
Location: Burnaby, BC
Duration: 4 months
Anticipated Start Date: January 2018
Number of positions: 1
Application Deadline: September 21, 2017
The Data Science Specialist Intern will work in a team addressing statistical, machine learning and data understanding problems in a commercial technology environment. In this role, you will contribute to the development and deployment of modern machine learning, operational research, semantic analysis, and statistical methods for finding insights from industrial data.
As an intern in our team, you will develop a strong background in applying machine learning algorithms and statistics to real industrial data, as well as evaluating the effectiveness of different techniques in solving industrial problems. Programming skills and experience with Python, R and Java as well as previous experience with machine learning algorithms, tools and libraries would make a you a very attractive applicant.
Nature of work:
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to);
• Work on data engineering, data quality assessment, data cleansing and data preprocessing
• Work on exciting and challenging machine learning problems to develop descriptive and predictive and prescriptive analytics
• Extend the capabilities of our analytics framework
• Develop analytics within projects to address customer needs and opportunities.
• Work alongside software developers and software engineers to translate algorithms into commercially viable products and services.
• Work in technical teams in development, deployment, and application of applied analytics
• Perform exploratory and targeted data analyses using data mining and descriptive statistics
• Generate reports, annotated code, and other projects artifacts to document, archive, and communicate your work and outcomes.
• Share and discuss findings with team members.
Do you qualify? We are seeking…
• Individuals with less than 2 years of work experience (outside of co-op/internship/summer work experience);
• Bachelor’s Degree in a “STEM” major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
• Demonstrated skill in the use of one or more analytic software tools or languages (e.g. Python, R)
• Bachelor or Master Degree in course of completion in Engineering (Computer, Electrical, Software), Computer Science or equivalent related discipline
• Open to both current students who will be returning to their in-class studies upon the completion of the work term and recent graduates who have completed their studies within the past 2 years.
Candidates are to submit a cover letter and resume. It is a mandatory requirement that you identify your school, cumulative GPA, and anticipated graduation date as part of the application process.
Please note that this position does not provide a subsidy for relocation expenses.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining GE
• Demonstrated skill in the use of descriptive statistics to assess quality of industrial datasets
• Experience applying predictive or prescriptive analytics to industrial applications
• Demonstrated awareness of data visualization and storytelling methods for conveying information to stakeholders.
• Demonstrated awareness of how to function in a team setting
• Demonstrated awareness of how to leverage curiosity and creativity to drive business impact
Locations: Canada; British Columbia; Burnaby
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.